About Me

My photo
I led workshops at the British Library2003-2019, on literature, language, art, history, and the culture of the book; and now teach the the English language at educational institutions, particularly the Bishopsgate Institute, online and in-person. I research language usage during the First World War, and lead the Languages and the First World War project. Author of Discovering Words, Discovering Words in the Kitchen, Evolving English Explored, Team Talk - sporting words & their origins, Trench Talk - the Language of the First World War (with Peter Doyle); How to Cure the Plague; The Finishing Touch; and Words and the First World War; Tommy French. As an artist I work in printmaking, performance, public engagement, curating and intervention; and I lead museum tours.

Followers

Friday 23 August 2019

Looking, wanting, making

You write the book you want to read. It's a truism, but one supported by experience, especially in the case of research-based writing. I really wanted a book that would survey all the intriguing developments in language in Britain during the First World War; I wanted to read it, so it seemed natural that reading and writing should coalesce. There was no book until it was created. 

I have recently annoyed myself intensely by not buying, when I could have easily done so, a copy of William Black's Dark Harbour etching, which came up on Ebay. I had it in my watch list for a while, hummed and hahed, and saw that someone else had snapped it up. It is of course the work of a moment to screen-grab it onto the computer; but that is not the thing. 


I looked at the image, not to commit it to memory, but to understand its composition and balance. I like the way Black creates space with lines which seem to be travelling on their individual trajectories regardless of each other. It is pictorial - you can see identifiable shapes - but the overall sense is one of spaces jostling like waves enclosed in a harbour. 

With an idea of how the picture was constructed I resolved the annoyance by making my own print, an etching, based on the memory of Black's work. I had to get a dark wax for the plate, not hard etching ground, which I always found tough and unforgiving; soot and beeswax, with a bit of Liberon furniture restoration wax, all melting around 100 degrees. The lines (Black uses only 8 or so) began to cross each other, the tones moving between playful and obsessive. I started with two entities rather than identities, and let the spaces develop around them. I thought I didn't want Black's picture; I think I may I have what I actually wanted, though the print from the plate will probably require to be taken further. More work. 




No comments:

Post a Comment